Content Disclaimer

I've collected several photos through the image search feature on Google. If any of the featured images are yours, please contact me so I can add a credit if I haven't done so already. I will also gladly remove an image upon request. And please return the favor of crediting: if you use one of my photos, please link back to me! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Ultimate Mother Daughter Song. Warning: Tears Ahead

When I first wrote about our wedding day music, I mentioned that I planned to dance with my mom to "Brown Eyed Girl" since I won't have a father daughter dance. Well, that was before my ride to Savannah yesterday to tie up some last minute loose ends.

I was just minding my own business as I made the very boring 4 hour ride from my house to my wedding host city when I ran across a song that literally brought me to tears one verse in. I normally listen to sports radio or a pop/hip hop station when in the car. But I was in a "dead zone" where the only stations that would come in were country (mind you, this IS Georgia).

Don't get me wrong, I do like my country music having grown up most my life in a very rural-pageant and festival lovin'-three stop light-one high school for the entire county-most dirt roads in the state-your dad is probably a farmer-everyone drives tractors on the last day of class-we fixin' to go do sumin'-south Georgia town. I especially love to listen to country in the summer months. I can't take a boat ride on the lake without blasting some Kenny, Tim, or Alan on the iPod. But I just normally don't listen to country so I'm a little behind on any new songs.

As I was scanning stations, I caught this song at about the 1:30 mark:

Jamie O'Neal "Somebody's Hero" music video

Jamie O'Neal |MySpace Music Videos


Now I'm not one for randomly bursting out in tears. But I just about had to pull over. I'm guessing it was the added emotion of being under a month out from the wedding, but boy was I a MESS. I was on the way to my makeup trial (coming soon!) and was so grateful that I wasn't leaving trial when I heard the song.

After my trial, my mom finally got into to town to meet me (she's helping with the wedding to-do list weekend). I immediately showed her the song and picked up crying where I left off. This time it was worse though with my mom in the room with me and an actual video to accompany the song. I still hadn't taken a picture of my makeup because my camera needed to be charged, so you'll have to keep that in mind when you see those pictures (But I'm happy to report that my mascara didn't run!).

And just like that, Jamie O'Neal's "Somebody's Hero" kicked "Brown Eyed Girl"s butt as the mother daughter dance song at my wedding. We'll still dance to "Brown Eyed Girl" but not as a "feature" dance, just general dancing with all the guests (since we'd always talked about dancing to it at my wedding when I was younger).

Now I just have to make sure I have a hankie stuffed into my dress prior to stepping onto the dance floor because I know I'll be a ball of tears and ugly cry faces at that point.

Have you made a song selection a while back just to have a new song come along and promptly replace it?

No comments:

Post a Comment