Content Disclaimer

I've collected several photos through the image search feature on Google. If any of the featured images are yours, please contact me so I can add a credit if I haven't done so already. I will also gladly remove an image upon request. And please return the favor of crediting: if you use one of my photos, please link back to me! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Manaz...Manza...Pretty Branches With Votives Hanging From Them!

Yeah, I've been engaged for nearly 11 months and still can't remember how to pronounce that "m" word for these:


Source

But I really didn't care about pronouncing them as long as I could make my own decorative displays using them. And thus, I set to work!

I ordered my manzanita branches (12-13" tall), plaster of paris, and river rocks from Save on Crafts. The tin cans were purchased at an A.C. Moore on sale for $2 each! And the votives were from Crate & Barrel for $11.40 for a set of 12.

This project is pretty self-explanatory, so I'll let the pictures do the talking!


All of my supplies. I didn't even realize that my Halloween decoration sort of reflects my current project until I looked at the photos!


I followed the mixing directions on the plaster of paris bucket and made sure to use disposable containers. I also did this on my (nasty-doggy dirty) floors to make clean up easy.


Start of the mixing...still chunky!


Finally smooth! (Btw, that's an old blender mixer that I used to stir it!)


Carefully pouring to keep splatter to a minimum.


I quickly placed my branches into the pots then propped them against a wall.


It literally took less than 15 minutes for the plaster to set. I'm glad I was moving fast because I had NO idea it would set so quick!


I used leftover paint from other projects to paint the plaster.


I wiped excess plaster splatter away with a damp paper towel.


Then I filled the pot with the river rocks (I may get some more at Wally World just to fill it out more).


I did a quick trial with hanging the votives using leftover floral wire before Mr. Lab offered up some of his clear fishing line.


Some of the votives with the fishing line. We're hanging 6 per pot. We also tested out the candles (using tea lights we already have) to make sure they didn't get too hot and melt the line.

I forgot to get a photo of the final product, but you'll see the real deal in action soon enough! I'm using them as decor on the guest book/gift tables. Total cost of this project? $40.99 for two full displays! :D

Here are some useful links I used that I figure will help someone else!

Securing Manzanita Branches With Plaster
How To Make Hanging Votives

Are you incorporating man...manza...pretty branches with votives on them at your wedding?

1 comment: