Content Disclaimer

I've collected several photos through the image search feature on Google. If any of the featured images are yours, please contact me so I can add a credit if I haven't done so already. I will also gladly remove an image upon request. And please return the favor of crediting: if you use one of my photos, please link back to me! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Crash course on cardio and weightlifting: The perfect fitness marriage!


I'm going to jump right into the gym stuff now that you've been introduced to a new way of looking at diets and food. Again, make sure you've had a recent physical and clearance from your doctor before starting any new exercise program. And certainly don't start off too quickly! It took me a long time to work up to the weights I use. Just be patient. Pretty soon you'll be challenging me to a lift-off! ;)

When it comes to cardio and weightlifting, you'll need to determine a "split" that works with your schedule. A split just means how many days of the week you dedicate to working out all the muscle groups of your body. I currently have a 4-day lifting split.

My lifting split is as follows:

1. Chest/Triceps/Abs/Cardio (aka PUSH day)
2. Back/Biceps/Cardio (aka PULL day)

3. Off Day
4. Shoulders/Calves/Abs/Cardio
5. Legs
6. Cardio/Abs
7. Cardio

Of course you can switch them around to fit your schedule. Just make sure to rest a muscle group for at least 2-3 days before working them again. And always lift before cardio. The reason why I have PUSH and PULL next to #1 & 2 is because it helps me remember the muscles being used during those days. Should I happen to forget my workout sheet, I can think about what exercises require me to pull (e.g. cable row) or push (e.g. bench press) and it coordinates with the muscles I'm working! I also always include triceps with my chest days and biceps with my back days because you tend to work out those muscles indirectly at the same time. This means you can do less work but still target the muscles just as efficiently as a workout dedicated solely to that group!

When lifting, do about 5 sets: 1 warmup set with low or no weight, then 4 additional sets starting out light with high repetitions (like 12) and working your way up with heavier weight but lower reps (down to about 6 or 8).

Do not be afraid to lift heavy. You will not look like a bodybuilder!
Girls are afraid to lift heavy because they think they will end up looking something like this:



But the only way you're going to end up looking like that is if you're taking steroids while lifting. Women do not produce enough testosterone themselves to build muscle like that so there is NO need to worry about bulking up. I'm pretty sure you're not planning on taking steriods, right? So go ahead and dismiss that silly gym myth. For example, I can squat about 135 lbs but I don't have thighs like a man! See?


Here's the really cool thing about lifting weights: for every pound of muscle you gain, you'll burn an extra 40 calories a day! And that doesn't include the extra calories you'll burn by going to the gym. That's just calories burned during a normal day. So it's really necessary to hit the weights and not turn into a "cardio bunny" as I like to call them (you know, the girls who pedal along on the elliptical for 2 hours a day and wonder why they aren't making real progress, haha). According to Mr. Lab, the girls with the hottest bodies in the gym are the ones who lift like the guys. Seriously.



Source

If you're only doing cardio, the best you can hope for is to be "skinny fat". Skinny fat people are slim but have virtually no lean muscle. Most models fit in this category. Here's a little lesson on skinny fat vs. fit models:


"Skinny Fat"


"Fit & Fabulous"

See the difference? These two women could potentially weigh around the same, but the "fit" woman (fitness model Jamie Eason who started out like you or me just wanting to get in shape) isn't "soft" around the edges. It took some time in the gym lifting weights to achieve that body, not just time on cardio equipment. And because lean muscle weighs more than fat, she could weigh more than the skinny fat model! Remember: SCALES LIE. Quit using them!

But speaking of cardio, I'm not against it at all even if it may sound so after all that. In fact, cardio is essential to losing fat! I do at least 30-45 minutes of cardio (on any equipment of choice or jogging/walking briskly) 4-6 times a week and burn at least 200 calories each session (to ensure losing 1-2 lbs. a week). Morning cardio and HIIT (high intensity interval training-google it because it takes too long to write out, lol) revs up the fat loss even more.

Try to eat carbs/protein about 1-2 hours before the gym and then right afterward as well. I suggest buying whey protein and putting a scoop in a water bottle so all you have to do is add water and shake it up to drink after your workout. This will help you rebuild torn muscle from your workouts and you'll recover quicker. The only way you'll be able to add that sexy, lean muscle that burns extra fat and keeps you looking toned and tight is by including enough protein in your diet along with weightlifting. It's almost impossible to eat enough protein in a day without going over calories, so you may want to invest in some protein powders. My fave flavors are fresh cinnamon that I put in my morning oatmeal, vanilla that I use for my smoothies and post-workout shakes, and chocolate that I mix with skim milk and a scoop of Skippy Natural peanut butter for a yummy alternative to sugary snacks!


My original fitness inspiration. I liked Jackie BEFORE Bravo's "Work Out"!

I routinely keep track of my progress at the gym by carrying a notebook with my workouts. I use the previous week's data to push myself. I love finishing a workout with a gain, even if it's one more rep or one more pound I can lift. It keeps me motivated beyond seeing changes in the mirror. I am including some sample workout sheets at the end of this post so you can start keeping track of your gym progress. You may have to tailor them to fit your needs or likes (some people prefer tricep kickback to tricep pulldowns, etc.). I make a one page chart for each day so I can fill in my reps/weights and keep track.


Cheat Meals

Okay, I promise some talk on "cheating" the last time. The only time you can eat "cheap carbs" (i.e. sugar or any other carb that isn't a complex carb) is right after a workout. Your body will use them to replenish lost muscle glycogen and will cause an insulin spike so your body rushes the protein to the muscles quickly. Don't abuse this though!


Now, it's inevitable that there will be slip ups. If you happen to eat something bad or miss a few days of gym (like during a holiday or birthday or some other special occasion *cough*wedding*cough*), don't fret! Just pick right back up where you left off! No biggie!!! Just don't PLAN cheat meals. If they happen, they happen and then you move on. But if you get into the habit of planning when you can eat bad, then you'll start to unravel all the hard work you've been doing.

Okay, now it's your turn to take all this information and put it to use. Let's hit the gym ladies! We've got wedding dresses to fit into!

Miss Lab's Sample Workouts:
Chest/Triceps/Abs
Back/Biceps
Legs
Shoulders/Calves/Abs

No comments:

Post a Comment