Content Disclaimer

I've collected several photos through the image search feature on Google. If any of the featured images are yours, please contact me so I can add a credit if I haven't done so already. I will also gladly remove an image upon request. And please return the favor of crediting: if you use one of my photos, please link back to me! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Block Head


Um, why hasn't any told me how difficult and time-consuming reserving a block of rooms for a wedding can be? Somebody has really dropped the ball on keeping Miss Lab in the loop!

I've been trying for a couple weeks now to get a hold of someone at a few hotels I'm interested in, but haven't had much luck. Either I call too late (this internship is killing all my free "business hours" time) or when I get a chance to call within operating hours, their sales teams are out for the day! I've tried leaving voice messages and emails, but no one is getting back to me. ARGH.

I was always under the assumption that hotel blocking would be one of the easier things to do in the wedding planning process. I guess I was mistaken. I mean, what's so hard about taking down my contact information and then marking some rooms as unavailable until a certain date? Sheesh. Maybe one of you hotel-savvy hive members could clarify the reason it may be hard to do?

Anyhoo, I figured that while I wait for someone to have mercy or pity on me, I'd share a couple hotels I'm hoping to snag at a discount for my guests.

I'm reserving two hotels for the wedding weekend. One will be close to our reception site and the other will be close to our after party site. Both are within walking distance of all the squares, so our guests will rarely need a car to get around and see the heart of Savannah. However, the hotels are still near a major highway, so guests will be able to make a quick escape back home the day after the wedding!

First up, the Hampton Inn & Suites in the historic district:

All photos found at their respective websites!

This hotel is literally right around the corner from our reception site. Our guests could just walk there and back if they wanted to. The Hampton is Savannah's newest hotel, so it's definitely clean! It's the only hotel I've visited from my list of possibilities and the entire staff was incredibly friendly (even those sales wasn't working that day).

I loved the chandeliers and southern decor they had in the entryway and lobby!


The rooms were all very clean and modernly dressed in neutrals.


Who doesn't love a free breakfast bar?!?


Our next top choice is the Inn at Ellis Square downtown. The building is simply stunning:



And it's located close to River Street where we'll hold our "after-party"! Again, no ugly super-busy-color-clashing-gaudy printed comforters on the beds. Always a plus!


I'm keeping my fingers crossed on these two in hopes of scoring some discounted rooms in the price range we want for our guests. Of course, Savannah has a plethora (I love that word!) of hotels, some chain-owned while others are historic and/or bed & breakfasts to choose from. Our guests will be welcome to pick any hotel they want, but we wanted to make sure we provided them with some affordable and conveniently located options. Not to mention that I love when hotels are researched and choosen for me, so I'm guessing our guests will appreciate that as well.

We're expecting 75 OOTs, so we're planning on about 25 rooms (a mix of single and double beds) at each hotel. We'll be suggesting on our wedding website that friends share rooms to cut down on travel costs (a lot of our single guests are friends and/or co-workers who won't mind sharing).

I haven't found much information concerning how many rooms to block according to guest counts and when the deadline for reserving should be before releasing extra rooms. Any suggestions so when the sales managers finally call back, I've have a better idea what to ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment