Content Disclaimer

I've collected several photos through the image search feature on Google. If any of the featured images are yours, please contact me so I can add a credit if I haven't done so already. I will also gladly remove an image upon request. And please return the favor of crediting: if you use one of my photos, please link back to me! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Friday, January 16, 2009

We have our officiant!!!

I'm extremely thrilled to announce that my hometown pastor will marry me and Chris! I've attended Messiah Lutheran Church in Valdosta, GA since 1999. My pastor, Rev. Richard Pieplow, and his wife will travel to Savannah to officiate our wedding ceremony.

I was fortunate enough to get to choose my religious denomination when I was younger. My family never really attended church when I was a child, so I would tag along with friends here and there to different church services (everything from Southern Baptist to Pentecostal). I never quite felt like I "fit in" even though I enjoyed the messages of the services. It was the style in which those messages were delivered that made me know they just weren't right for me.

After my father died in 1998, my mom decided it was time to turn to God to help answer some of our questions and problems. Her best friend was already attending a church, so it was only natural that she picked the same one. That church, Messiah Lutheran, ended up being my pick as well. It was also the church that handled my dad's funeral and I remember how much Pastor Pieplow's words helped my mom during that time.

My mom wanted us to go with her the first few times when we began attending. But she made it clear that it was our decision whether we wanted to continue to go after that. Ultimately, my little brother and sister and I decided this was the right place for us. Every Sunday, we made the 40 minute drive to Valdosta to attend Sunday/youth group school, Confirmation classes, and the regular service. We all became very involved in different ways from performing acolyting duties to helping in the nursery and setting up the altar. We've performed in Christmas "pageants", read Bible readings during the service, and volunteered as ushers. Anytime there was something to help out with, our family was there. We even all got baptised on the same day at that church! I'll never forget officially being welcomed into our new church family.

Over the years, I've moved away to attend college and haven't had the chance to make it back to my hometown church as much as I'd like. I now really only attend on Easter and Christmas Eve and a couple random Sundays when I know I can get a late start on the road back to Athens after a weekend visit. It's always refreshing to go back and catch up with everyone from the congregation (everyone knows everyone!) and hear one of Pastor's classic sermons that always starts with a funny story. Although I found another church in Athens, it's never compared to "my" church.

I'm really looking forward to having such a special person be such an intrical part of the beginning of our marriage. Pastor Pieplow has been there for my family in our toughest times and he'll be there in some of our happiest times! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment