Content Disclaimer

I've collected several photos through the image search feature on Google. If any of the featured images are yours, please contact me so I can add a credit if I haven't done so already. I will also gladly remove an image upon request. And please return the favor of crediting: if you use one of my photos, please link back to me! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Sunday, January 4, 2009

My Reception Dress!

I've always known I would want a separate dress to wear for the dancing portion of my reception. I don't want to get my wedding gown trashed after I break it down for one too many songs, lol. So after dinner, the cutting of the cake, the bouquet toss, and the first couple of dances, I'm going to change into a "bridal cocktail dress". We'll also probably hit River Street for the "after party" and I'll need a short dress to party in. I may add an inexpensive short veil to the ensemble since I'm not too keen on one for my actual wedding gown, but feel like I'll miss getting to wear one on my wedding day. This way, people will know I'm a bride while we're out on the town. I had originally planned to buy a dress like this:



But because I'm trying to keep the budget as tight as possible, I decided I'd just wear the dress I got engaged in on New Year's Eve! It's a Betsey Johnson "Teen Vogue" Strapless Sequin cocktail dress with a hot pink/fuchsia sash. Here's a picture of it:


This idea is perfect for four reasons:

1. I get more use out of this "special occasion only" dress.

2. I don't have to spend money on a new reception dress. This dress originally cost over $400 in the B.J. stores. But I found it on Ebay for $170 and then did a "Best Offer" for $100 shipped! On top of that, I'm selling other dresses on Ebay I don't wear anymore to make up for what I spent on it. I never spend that much money on ANY clothing because I'll typically end up feeling guilty about the purchase later. But this time I had no regrets because I ended up getting engaged in it! :)

3. It'll have a special significance since the only times I would have worn it will be the day I got engaged and the day I got married.

4. It'll be my way of getting my favorite color into the wedding: hot pink! I would never make pink one of my wedding colors because my groom and groomsmen would kill me. Not to mention hot pink doesn't really go with a fall wedding... So this way I can have my cake and eat it, too. Pun intended. ;)

Btw, if you'd like to help support my "wedding fund", you can buy a dress from me off Ebay here!

6 comments:

  1. Such a great idea!! I'm considering purchasing a reception gown as well, but don't know how the money will play out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may want to look in the unconventional places for one. Since spring is around the corner, keep an eye out at department stores, fashion stores (like Forever 21 or H&M), or even places like Target for cute white sundress/cocktail style dresses. And don't forget Ebay! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your website is awesome! Glad to see you are interested in our photography!
    The "reception dress" is a great idea. We've seen lots of broken bustles and torn hems after a few crazy moves on the dance floor.
    By the way, if you want to chat sometime or have any specific questions for me, feel free to use our Live Chat feature on the blog.
    Thanks, and congratulations on your engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Julie for all the help! I will definitely stop by the Live Chat if I have any questions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dress is ADORABLE! You know how I feel about hot pink, so of course I approve! I, however, couldn't get ENOUGH of my wedding dress, so I had to wear it the WHOLE TIME, even stuffing it into Ryan's tiny car so I could wear it the hotel we stayed at! (Those made for funny pictures, lol.) I want to see pictures from NYE. Are you ever going to be able to recover your camera?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trust me, I plan on wearing my wedding dress in the hotel and secretly in my home for at least a year following the wedding! haha

    My friend just called today and told me she got my phone and camera back from the limo service (not without some serious hassle!). So I should have pictures up by the weekend from the proposal/NYE!!!

    ReplyDelete