Content Disclaimer

I've collected several photos through the image search feature on Google. If any of the featured images are yours, please contact me so I can add a credit if I haven't done so already. I will also gladly remove an image upon request. And please return the favor of crediting: if you use one of my photos, please link back to me! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Thursday, August 13, 2009

No Swim Trunks, But I've Got My Flippy Floppies!

Our reception isn't on a boat, but people might still need some flip flops! Why? Because they're the remedy for sore dancer's feet!

My latest DIY project went by lightning fast. In less than 20 minutes, I had this:


Guess I should back up and tell you how I got there, huh? Well first, I started with a quick design using the uber-user friendly Word. Fonts used are Fontdinerdotcom Sparkly (free from dafont.com) and Lucida Calligraphy.


I then set my page settings and fed a piece of leftover scrapbook paper through the printer. Remember the paper I featured on my invite dilemma post? Well, I finally found a use for two of the samples! (And I'll show you soon what I did with another sample from that pile!)


After my cute little flip flop poem was printed, I used some more of my scrapbooking supplies to cut the edges down.


Next up, using special edging scissors to cut a pretty little design on cardstock. I love these scissors because they're usually under $1 each and do the same thing as the more expensive Martha Stewart edge paper punchers. You just have to take your time to line up the cuts.



Next, I used my leftover spray adhesive from my wreath project to glue the poem unto some chocolate brown paper. Then I cut the extra edges off.


After that, I measured my leftover satin bouquet ribbon around the basket.


I forgot to make slits in the brown paper before threading the ribbon through it and adhering it to the poem paper. But no worries! I just glued on some "belt handles" and threaded the ribbon through that!


Then I attached the the ends in the back of the basket using spray adhesive and a safety pin for good measure. I didn't care so much about giving it a polished look as no one will see the back from where the basket will be seating at the reception!

And....wah-lah! There you have it! One DIY flip flop basket in less than 20 minutes. Beat that Rachel Rays of the DIY world!


In case you can't read the poem, it says:

Meet Your "Sole" Mates!
In case your feet are tired and sore
Grab a pair and dance some more!
-Compliments of the Newlyweds


I'm not done with the basket yet! I want to remove the ugly blue labels from the flip flops and add my own size tags. I also need to track down at least 5 more pairs from Michael's. They're currently only $.30 a pair! And yes, they're super comfy and really squishy! :)

Cost Breakdown:

15 pairs of flip flops (I currently only have 10): $.30 each
Basket: $10.19 (40% off!)
Paper products: $1.18
Satin ribbon: FREE (leftover from another project)

Total including tax (before homemade tags): $16.98

1 comment:

  1. What a great job and a steal!!! WOW, only $16.98? I love it! And so will the heel-wearing girls at your reception! :)

    ReplyDelete