Content Disclaimer

I've collected several photos through the image search feature on Google. If any of the featured images are yours, please contact me so I can add a credit if I haven't done so already. I will also gladly remove an image upon request. And please return the favor of crediting: if you use one of my photos, please link back to me! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Friday, June 5, 2009

"I thought these things were supposed to be fun?!?"

Contrary to popular belief, wedding registries are not that much fun to put together. In fact, it's a lot of work and it loses its novelty very quickly. I believe people get this confused with the actual bridal showers where you RECEIVE the gifts, not REGISTER for them. That was your PSA for the day. You're welcome. ;)

Okay okay! I know not all of you feel the same way I do.

In fact, I was really looking forward to the registry fun when I first got engaged. So much so that I started on them about 3 weeks after we became "official". This was done in part because I was afraid that when the time would come around to do this (according to a suggested wedding time line) I'd be too busy with finals or an internship. Boy was I right! Our first shower is a little over 2 weeks away and I still haven't done much more than that first day of registering. My FMIL had already gotten a couple calls about where we were registered BEFORE the shower invites even went out. Yikes!


The truth is, registries sort of intimidate me because I don't really know what I'll need or will really use. It feels so "adult" to upgrade from our cheap silverware (and sometimes plastic-ware) to formal flatware or from busted pots to amazing professional cookware. Then there's the fact that Mr. Lab and I have been living together for almost 2 years, so we already have a lot of things that are typical on registry lists. And the fact that our little rented house probably can't hold all the items we'll be receiving. But I know we'll need all these amazing things once we move into our "real" home someday soon.

So here I am rushing to fill out our registries and making sure we will really use whatever is on them. Mr. Lab and I wanted to keep them as functional as possible for us; i.e. no china, etc.. The hardest part now has been making sure people who live in the smaller towns will have easy access to our choices. We both prefer online shopping but are keeping in mind our older guests who may not want to fuss with a computer.

Our final choices ended up being Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, Dillard's, and Amazon.com. Amazon can really pull through for those "odds and ends" items and regularly offer free shipping and no taxes which is a big incentive for our guests to buy from them! Mr. Lab especially likes Amazon for all the tools he's registered for that he couldn't find in our other stores.

Did anyone else get a late start on their registry? Did it cause any trouble for your shower guests?

No comments:

Post a Comment