Content Disclaimer

I've collected several photos through the image search feature on Google. If any of the featured images are yours, please contact me so I can add a credit if I haven't done so already. I will also gladly remove an image upon request. And please return the favor of crediting: if you use one of my photos, please link back to me! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Southern Sweethearts: To Look or Not To Look?

After I became a blushing bride and the boys got sessay, it was time to start photos.

During the planning process, there were very few things on which Mr. Lab went out of his way to voice his opinion. For instance, he wanted seafood on the menu (he practically picked the entire Lady & Sons menu) and he wanted me to wear a veil (didn't happen but now I wish I had at least worn one for the ceremony).

But the biggest one? He didn't want to see me before the ceremony.

Photobucket

Freeze frame from our wedding movie trailer.

My photographer was against this from the get-go (and to be honest, so was I), but it was what Mr. Lab wanted. This was his wedding, too, so I said okay after he stated his case. We knew we'd be up against a "diminishing light" factor for our formals because the ceremony was set for 4 pm. Sunset begins about 5:30 pm in November with complete darkness at 6:30 pm. But we knew it could be done because our friends had a similar situation with the no first-look/light factor and it worked out well.

I let our photographer know that we wanted to get as many of the photos done before the ceremony (me with my girls, him with his guys, me with my mom, him with his, etc.) so we could reserve as much of the post-ceremony photo time as possible for me and him plus the entire wedding party and family as possible. We don't have huge families anyways, so from my experience with FSIL Leslie and BM Brooke's wedding, I figured we'd have plenty of time.

We also planned to replace the "first look alone time" through our post-ceremony carriage ride and eating a quick dinner together while guests enjoyed the last part of the cocktail hour.

So it was settled. I would have my hair and makeup done in time for formal photos to start around 2 pm with no first look. Mr. Lab and I wouldn't see each other until 4 pm when I walked down the aisle.

Photobucket

My hair flower placement bugs the mess out of me. Ladies, make sure you take a moment to check your final look in the mirror before photos!


Photobucket

But as you've probably figured out from the screen shot, that didn't happen (like a lot of things on our wedding day - *le sigh*).

We began thinking about nixing that idea the day before the wedding. Out of the blue, Mr. Lab told me he wouldn't be devastated if we had to do a first look. So we decided to kind of play it by ear. We had two photographers for the entire day and a DOC who we had confidence in to roll with the punches if needed.

But long story shorter, hair and makeup ran over because FSIL booked my hair appointment across town without telling me how far it was so I could plan. And then it took FOR.EH.VEEEEER. to get Mr. Lab and the guys out of their hotel to meet us for photos because they kept waiting for a no-show second shooter to arrive for their getting ready shots.

So we ultimately made the decision to nix our plans for no first look to ensure we'd have enough time.

My photog and I planned to do a mini bridal session while the guys headed over to the Mansion. Even that was squashed after the staff told us we couldn't shoot photos there unless I was a bride getting married on their property! Um, heeello?!? We stayed there the night before and made them well-aware of my intentions to take photos! (The Mansion gave us quite a few troubles to be officially reviewed at a later date.)

So we snuck outside and took a few shots anyways. The videographer was already set up at one spot, so we chose it for the big reveal.

Photobucket

Catching a glimpse of the car with Mr. Lab and the GMs. Thankfully, we didn't see each other then!

I rushed back around the corner where my BMs were waiting so Mr. Lab could get into place.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And then I started slowly making my way towards him.

Photobucket

Photobucket

A tap on the shoulder...

Mr. Lab turns around to check out his bride in the dress I'd kept a secret for so long. I geeked out and couldn't quit cheesing. I had good reason. This moment was 4 years in the making...

Photobucket

Photobucket

And then Mr. Lab did something I've only seen him do one other time: HE CRIED.

Photobucket

I couldn't help laughing at him because I was caught off guard. I really didn't think he'd cry! Then for a second I wished we could have saved that moment for the ceremony. But looking back, he probably would have fallen apart if he didn't get it out of his system! LOL

(Btw, the only other time I'd seen him cry before that was at a showing of Marley & Me. And he's only cried once since the wedding when our Dixie baby passed away. Mr. Lab loves his Labs, Mrs. Lab included. ;) )

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After our first look, we headed across the street to Savannah's famed Forsyth Park to take more photos.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I was still without my precious Loubs, so I had to walk barefoot through the park.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pretty soon, we were joined by our wedding party to take all of our formals before Mr. Lab and I made this thing official!

What are your feelings about first looks? Anyone have a successful non-first look?

Previously on Southern Sweethearts:

Next Up: Our Wedding Party...and Paparazzi.

*All professional photos by Lindsi Jones Photography unless otherwise noted. Some images have been slightly altered by moi.

3 comments:

  1. You look beautiful! The Mister also cried during our ceremony (after it, actually) and I also laughed because I was so caught off guard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Serena! I almost felt bad that I didn't cry because he was crying so much! Silly men! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the pic of you walking barefoot through the park. We had a first look and my dude did not cry... but he did during the ceremony, the sentimental sap! ;P

    ReplyDelete