Content Disclaimer

I've collected several photos through the image search feature on Google. If any of the featured images are yours, please contact me so I can add a credit if I haven't done so already. I will also gladly remove an image upon request. And please return the favor of crediting: if you use one of my photos, please link back to me! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Frontin'.

Yeah, that's right. I've been strutting around in the wedding blogging world like I actually have something to blog about. But in all actuality, my wedding plans are just that: plans.

I originally intended to share this post about my budget AFTER the wedding. But after much contemplation, I decided now is better than ever.


This is a straight pity post so feel free to stop reading at any point. No, seriously. The following is nothing but a quite pathetic rambling.

I have absolutely no clue how this wedding is going to come together by November given our VERY limited budget. When we first got engaged, we knew we'd want to keep the budget tight because we don't feel like it's necessary to spend tons to have an amazing wedding. However, as we started planning, we realized that we would still need to have at least $12,000 just to pull off a decent Savannah destination wedding for 75 guests, and that was PUSHING it. I mean, that's $15,000 UNDER the national average cost of a wedding.

So I got to work trying to figure out where this money would come from. We asked our parents if they would be willing to split the costs up evenly among all three parties instead of the traditional "bride's side pays for this, groom's side pays for that" mentality. Both of us have single mothers (FMIL just paid for FSIL's December 2007 wedding and Mama Lab has been sucked dry by the economy and some of my siblings who don't want to grow up). This option was the fairest way to go about it for everyone. After discussing the budget with the 'rents, it was agreed: both moms and the couple (and by couple, I really mean just me since Mr. Lab bought my ring) would contribute around $4,000 each.

Thing is, I think the only one who may hold up their end of the deal is FMIL Lab. She's already taking care of the entire rehearsal dinner and the open bar at the reception. My poor mom (no pun intended) keeps running into financial setbacks so she has yet to give me any money in our nearly 6 months of engagement. As for my part? Well...



Source

It's even worse now because of my summer internships. Because I'm working at a news station, my hours are long and all over the place which means there's no time for even a part-time job. So the money I had originally planned to save over the summer is now non-existent. I've already spent about $3,000 on securing our ceremony & reception venues, a photographer, caterer, and save the dates (which arrived yesterday! yay!). So I've just about contributed my share. BUT, that money came mostly from leftover student loans. I know you fiscally responsible ones out there are cringing at the thought of using a student loan for a wedding, but it's one of my only options since I already live paycheck to paycheck. It would take at least another 5 years before Mr. Lab and I could pay for a wedding out of our own pockets, so we figured low-interest, subsidized loans were a better way to go compared to credit cards. I tried to pick up as many hours at work before leaving for the summer, but it's all going towards living expenses instead of wedding stuff now.

I fear that if my mom doesn't start helping soon, I'll be forced to use another student loan to help pay for her part. And if that happens, I won't have too much to blog about because I won't get that money until nearly September. And that's nerve-racking because it'll cut out 3 months of planning, creating, and reserving stuff for the wedding. If you've noticed, I've blogged about a lot of PLANS and not about actual purchases as it is already.

In anticipation of not having enough money as originally planned, I've been spending a lot of time finding ways to cut expenses. Here are some of the ways I'm doing this:
  • Using an up & coming photographer. Savings: $2000
  • Purchased the "digital negatives & printing rights" so I can print my own wedding albums. I'm also DIY our photo slideshow instead of relying on a photographer or videographer to do it for me. Savings: $1500
  • Forgoing fresh florals and opting for mood lighting and fake flowers instead.
  • Making my own centerpieces using bargain finds instead of buying or renting through a florist.
  • Buying an "inspired by" gown instead of its designer counterpart. Savings: $3800
  • Selling the gown I won from the Running of the Brides on Ebay to put towards other costs. Projected profit: $500
  • Reusing a dress I own for my reception/after party dress. Projected savings: $150
  • Borrowing as many items as possible from my friends' weddings. Like these candy jars. Projected savings $500
  • Having my MOH's MIL make all the wedding jewelry.
  • Using an iPod for the ceremony & cocktail hour music. Possibly for the reception as well (if we can find a reliable person to man it & the mic).
  • Using an Etsy seller to create a digital design for invites or DIY.
  • Mr. Lab's ring choice? Tungsten. Major savings.
  • Contemplating a Publix or DIY wedding cake since I want a "homemade-style" cake to fit in with our theme.
  • Doing a buffet instead of a seated dinner. Using a preferred vendor of our reception site to avoid a $500 fee.
  • Using our reception site as a back up ceremony site in the case of inclement weather. This eliminates the need for renting a tent.
  • Going a "mini-moon" instead of a honeymoon. Because the honeymoon is traditionally paid for by the groom's side, it freed up FMIL to help with the wedding itself. We're going on a "real" honeymoon on our 5th anniversary (hopefully).
  • Total projected savings so far: $9000+
I'm sure I'll find more ways to "trim the fat" off the budget along the way and still have a lovely wedding. I mean check out these beauts all under $10K! But there are some things I don't want to compromise on (like our venues).

In the meantime, I'm reminding myself to stay grateful for the fact that I'm even having a wedding. I know a lot of people out there are wishing upon shooting stars that they could have even $5K, let alone $12K for a wedding! Or the people out there who aren't even able to have a wedding because of laws or war or any other number of factors.

I guess the rainy day and the fact that I haven't seen Mr. Lab for a week now is aiding my pity party. I just hope this funk doesn't last too long...

Is your wedding budget or money woes giving you the blues?

2 comments:

  1. You should check out some of the DIY invites at Target. That's where we bought our's. They were less than $0.50/each. Some of them are quite beautiful, too! I was also at Office Depot on Atlanta Highway the other day and they had quite a few very pretty ones. And lastly, Michael's has some great ones - much fancier than the other places. What is great about Michael's is that you can use the 40% coupon and get a steal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me some craft store coupons! I think I'm going to get a digital file off Etsy for my invites which will be SUPER cheap! Thanks for the heads up though!

    ReplyDelete