Content Disclaimer

I've collected several photos through the image search feature on Google. If any of the featured images are yours, please contact me so I can add a credit if I haven't done so already. I will also gladly remove an image upon request. And please return the favor of crediting: if you use one of my photos, please link back to me! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Meat Cake?

This post is a warning for all brides-to-be out there:

Do NOT let your groom watch wedding shows with you!

"Why?" you ask. Because there is the possibility that he may get some crazy idea from a show and force you to make it happen. You say "But it's GOOD that he's getting involved and voicing his opinion!" I politely scream back "Not when it that idea is a MEAT groom's cake!!!!"



Source

Mr. Lab and I were watching an episode of "Whose Wedding Is It Anyways?" when one groom insisted on having a "meat cake" for his groom's cake. It's a "cake" made of meatloaf and "iced" with mashed potatoes. Decorations are done with meatloaf-complimentary food items like ketchup.

Mr. Lab had been watching passively until the mention of the meat cake. He then perked up (as does every man at the mention of food) and was like "I want that! I want one of those for my groom's cake!" I gave him the stink eye. I couldn't tell if he was serious or just pulling my leg because I obviously had a look of horror on my face. I mean, I love meatloaf as much as he does, but not for our wedding! Maybe for his next birthday or something, but not for the wedding! Besides, I already had plans for his groom's cake that I was keeping secret as a surprise for him...

Mr. Lab, look away if you want even the slightest chance of having your meat cake!



Source

I'm currently searching for a baker for both the wedding and groom's cake. For Mr. Lab's cake, I was planning on presenting him with a replica of Sanford Stadium since the Georgia Bulldogs are so important to both of us. Okay, maybe it won't look as good as one of Duff Goldman's Charm City Cakes (like this one of Wrigley Field shown above), but it will sure be better than this:



Source

I'm really hoping Mr. Lab is playing around with this one. I can usually tell when he's joking, but I'm not so sure on this one. He's barely made any requests for the wedding (ironically, the only real requests he's made have been on the menu items-food again!). And to make matters worse, I feel like I'll have to comply since he has had SO FEW requests for our wedding. I mean, it is the GROOM'S cake, not mine. But I'll be sad that my "UGA table" idea will be nixed if this goes through. I planned to have the Sanford Stadium cake as the focal point on a table filled with photos of us attending football games together. :(

What should I do? Is anyone else experiencing trouble with a groom's request?

4 comments:

  1. First of all, this totally does not surprise me, lol. I think if he's serious about it, you should go for it. It's funny, not insulting. And I bet people will really like it! And like you said, it is his cake. And you don't have to totally nix your idea of the "UGA table." I'm sure there's some way to still make it work. But, like you said, remember it's the "Groom's cake." So if he really has an opinion on it, you should take him seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But then the guests, expecting a cakey sweet taste and then get a mouthful of meat and mashed potatoes just might make people gag...lol!! I guess if you end up doing this, warn people before they eat it and tell them not to expect sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yuck! The thought of a meat cake is just revolting...even though, so long as, like Jen said, people were expecting it, it might not be s bad. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've decided that I will serve "meat cake" at our joint shower in the summer. Maybe once he's had it, he'll forget about it for the wedding. I'm sure he'll appreciate the GA cake I'll have in store for him.

    ReplyDelete